athena AT services.cnrs.fr
Subject: Histoire des techniques
[Athena] REMINDER: CfP: FROM PRACTICE TO RESULTS IN LOGIC AND MATHEMATICS, Nancy, France, 21-23 June 2010
- From: Sandra MOLS <Sandra.Mols AT univ-nancy2.fr>
- To: athena AT services.cnrs.fr, MERSENNE AT JISCMAIL.AC.UK, "citam AT info.fundp.ac.be" <citam AT info.fundp.ac.be>, "ngr AT info.fundp.ac.be" <ngr AT info.fundp.ac.be>, "antoinette.rouvroy AT fundp.ac.be" <antoinette.rouvroy AT fundp.ac.be>, denis.darquennes AT fundp.ac.be, mathieu.cornelis AT fundp.ac.be, dominique.lambert AT fundp.ac.be
- Cc: Moktefi <amirouche.moktefi AT gersulp.u-strasbg.fr>, Valeria Giardino <valeria.giardino AT gmail.com>, Lena SOLER <l_soler AT club-internet.fr>, Pierre Bour <pierre-edouard.bour AT univ-nancy2.fr>, Sandra Mols <sandramols AT yahoo.co.uk>
- Subject: [Athena] REMINDER: CfP: FROM PRACTICE TO RESULTS IN LOGIC AND MATHEMATICS, Nancy, France, 21-23 June 2010
- Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:31:12 +0100
- Mailscanner-null-check: 1261477875.89533@BS5rY9yy0JL+ui1c0/bWDg
Apologies for crossposting
Please reply to the relevant persons below.
REMINDER: CALL FOR PAPERS: FROM PRACTICE TO RESULTS IN LOGIC AND MATHEMATICS
UNIVERSITY OF NANCY, FRANCE, 21-23 JUNE, 2010
The PratiScienS group invites the submission of research papers for a conference on the role of practices in the establishment of results in logic and mathematics.
This conference is aimed at discussing and exploring the practice of mathematics and logic from an epistemological standpoint. That is, we look for papers on how the concrete practices of mathematicians and logicians may influence the results of their enquiries and, more broadly, the notion of what counts as proof. Through this conference, the PratiScienS group also aims at promoting a methodological reflection on the difficulties that a critical analysis of such practices in logic and mathematics implies and on issues related to the development of the appropriate exploratory conceptual tools.
Invited Speakers include Jean-Paul Van Bendegem, Jessica Carter, Karine Chemla, Jeremy Gray, Brendan Larvor, Danielle Macbeth, Catarina Dutilh Novaes, Marco Panza and Dirk Schlimm.
The Scientific Committee includes Gerhard Heinzmann, Paolo Mancosu, Philippe Nabonnand, Andrew Warwick and the PratiScienS group.
This conference is part of a series of conferences organised by the PratiScienS research group at the Archives Henri Poincaré, Nancy University, France (http://poincare.univ-nancy2.fr/Activites/?contentId=6163&languageId=1). The group explores the issue of practices in their relations with the construction and validation of scientific knowledge. Consequently, this conference is also aimed at generating discussions tackling with the issue of practices in logic and mathematics, in the ways suggested and framed by the project. Thus, the Scientific Committee will particularly appreciate proposals that explore the epistemological impact of practices upon mathematics and logic research in relation to PratiScienS' main research topics, which include the possibility of a "Wimsatt-like" concept of robustness for mathematics and logic (http://poincare.univ-nancy2.fr/Activites/?contentId=4366&languageId=1), the role of tacit aspects in practices in logic and mathematics and, lastly, the contingency vs. inevitability issue with scientific results in the case of mathematics and logic (http://poincare.univ-nancy2.fr/Activites/?contentId=6172).
Details on the conference theme can be found at http://poincare.univ-nancy2.fr/encours/Activites?contentId=6803. Submissions of proposals should include a long abstract (approximately 1000 words-long) of the paper. Deadline for submission by e-mail is January 15th, 2010, with acceptance notified by March 15th, 2010. Abstracts should be sent to: sandra.mols @ univ-nancy2.fr (remove spaces)
Some financial support is available, and it may be possible to apply for a travel grant.
The PratiScienS group is supported by: The Archives Henri Poincaré (Université de Nancy 2, CNRS UMR 7117), the Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR), the Région Lorraine, the Maison des Sciences de l'Homme Lorraine (USR CNRS 3261), and Nancy-Université.
Université Nancy 2
Courriel : Sandra.Mols AT univ-nancy2.fr
- [Athena] REMINDER: CfP: FROM PRACTICE TO RESULTS IN LOGIC AND MATHEMATICS, Nancy, France, 21-23 June 2010, Sandra MOLS, 12/15/2009
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.18.