athena - [Athena] Extended deadline - Symposium "Women and Gender studies - Where do we stand?" de 14 au 17 septembre 2011 à l'ENS

athena AT services.cnrs.fr

Objet : Histoire des techniques

[Athena] Extended deadline - Symposium "Women and Gender studies - Where do we stand?" de 14 au 17 septembre 2011 à l'ENS

  • From: Anne-Sophie Godfroy <anne-sophie.godfroy AT u-pec.fr>
  • To: athena AT services.cnrs.fr
  • Subject: [Athena] Extended deadline - Symposium "Women and Gender studies - Where do we stand?" de 14 au 17 septembre 2011 à l'ENS
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 10:21:43 +0200
  • Mailscanner-null-check: 1306311717.41838@5mT5st2ktpakVX/gapsNiw

Chers collègues,

Je vous adresse à nouveau l'appel à contribution pour le symposium "Women and Gender studies - Where do we stand?" organisé par la commission "femmes et sciences" de la DHST/IUHPS en septembre 2011 à Paris.

La date limite pour l'envoi des contributions vient d'être étendue au 31 mai 2011.

Le texte de l'appel est reproduit ci-dessous et en document attaché.
Le site n'a pas mis à jour la date limite de réception, mais je confirme qu'il s'agit bien du 31 mai.

Très cordialement

--------------------------------
Anne-Sophie Godfroy
Maître de conférences
STEF ENS Cachan, Universud
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan
61, avenue du Président Wilson
F-94230 CACHAN cedex
secrétariat : tel : 33 1 47 40 76 09
fax : 33 1 47 40 24 59
tel : 33 1 47 40 76 12
anne-sophie.godfroy AT ens-cachan.fr
http://www.stef.ens-cachan.fr/annur/genin.htm

-------
Commission on "Women in Science, Technology, and Medicine”"
Division of History of Science and Technology
of the International Union of History and Philosophy of Science (DHST/IUHPS)

International Symposium
Women and Gender Studies - Where Do We Stand?

September 14-17 2011

Call for Papers

First circular

Venue:
Ecole Normale Supérieure
45 rue d’Ulm, 75005 Paris, France

Introduction

Research on women in science has long been viewed as interchangeable with  studies on gender and science, while covering a wide range of disciplinary fields such as natural, medical, and engineering sciences, as well as social and human sciences. The aim of this biennial Symposium is to compare the different methodological, historiographical, as well as sociopolitical perspectives that have been developed so far; to unravel creative tensions among the different perspectives; and to suggest innovative ways for better understanding science, technology, and medicine through the gender perspective.

During the symposium we expect that historians of science, technology, and medicine on the one hand, and scholars of gender in science and technology studies scholars will exchange ideas on key issues related to gender and women in science and technology. In addition, a special session will be dedicated to the legacy of Mme Curie for women in science per the declaration of 2011 as the International Year of Chemistry (IYC-2011) in honor of the 100th  anniversary of Mme Curie’s 2nd Nobel Prize in chemistry (1911).

More specifically we wish to focus on the following topics:

Theme 1 –Methodological, epistemological and historiographical issues in women and gender science studies (including micro-history, cultural history, and social history)

The focus here is on the different methods and historiographical approaches that have been used in research on “women in science” versus research on “gender and science”. For example, what makes gender issues and women issues different in history of science? What methodologies could be transferred from history of science to gender studies? What methodologies could be transferred from gender studies to history of science? For example, this issue was raised as an emerging and divisive dichotomy by  Women, Gender, and Science, (Osiris 12, 1997), while Creative Couples in the Sciences (Rutgers University Press, 1996) addressed such issues as methodologically complementary, rather than signaling an emerging divide between historians and other practitioners of science studies. We now seek  to reassess where we stand now and how recent works, often collective, (e.g. Gender and Genres: Lives of Women, 1700-2000, Bologna, 2011) have advanced this argument.  To sum up, we wish to reassess what science studies on women and gender have contributed to the history of science and what new issues have emerged in the last decade or so. Have women and gender science studies transformed the history of science?  Does the history of science infuse gender studies with much needed lessons from the past? How do we best incorporate the development of a new understanding of science and technology with newer visions of gender as closely interrelated areas of activity?

Theme 2 - The changing concept of gender in science and technology studies

We also wish  to explore new nuances and new applications of the concept of gender in studies of science, technology, and medicine as in Never Mind the Gap! Gendering Science in Transgressive Encounters (Uppsala, 2010) or Gendered Innovations in Science and Engineering (Stanford 2008). In France, the topic has been explored in Sexe et genre. De la hiérarchie entre les sexes (1991, reed. 2002) or Le sexe des sciences. Les Femmes en plus (1993). How do we understand, construct and/or reconstruct femininity and masculinity through our studies of science and technology? We thus welcome papers that reconceptualize the concept of gender, taking into account our recent knowledge from studies on the fe/male body in culture and medicine, as well as studies of gender in/of technology. (e.g. Special Issue of the Journal of Technology Management & Innovation on “The Gender Dimension in Technology”, vol. 5 (1)  2010)

Theme 3 – The role of new sources

As scholars of women in science have demonstrated, traditional histories of science with their focus on sources such as university archives, laboratory records, and professional accounts of science made women invisible in the history of the sciences. Here we wish to emphasize the importance of new, previously under-utilized or innovative sources in making  women visible.. Such sources may include both public records such as archives of women’s organizations and colleges, and private ones, such as diaries, oral histories, and auto/biographies.

Theme 4 - Interdisciplinary approaches on women scientists and gender studies respectively.
We also wish to encourage research on women and gender in science using an interdisciplinary approach. The Symposium will provide opportunities to exchange different experiences and contemplate diverse forms of collaborative work.

Theme 5 – The legacy of Mme Curie at the Centennial of her (2nd) Nobel Prize: Women’s contributions to radiochemistry, nuclear chemistry, and cancer therapy.

This theme is part of ICY-2011, the International year of Chemistry declared in honor of the Centennial of Mme Curie’s Nobel Prize in Chemistry.

Call for papers

The Programme Committee welcomes proposals for individual papers or sessions from historians, science and technology studies scholars, women’s and gender studies researchers. We encourage especially the submission of papers by graduate students and independent scholars. Each participant is allowed to submit only one paper. The committee will consider the submitted proposals and respond by the end of May.

Proposals for individual papers must include:

- A one-page summary (maximum 250 words) outlining both the content and the argument of the proposed paper;
- A short CV, including current postal and e-mail addresses.

All proposals should be sent via the email to paris.symposium2011 AT gmail.com until May 15, 2011. All information is also available on the website: http://dhst-woman.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/ (deadlines not updated)

Travel grants

The Commission on "Women in science" of the IUHPS/DHST could support some participants with a travel grant of up to 250 € each to PhD students or early career researchers (who will be within three years of completing their PhD‘s at the date of the conference) who are attending and presenting papers. Those who wish to apply for a travel grant should send to Annette Vogt,  President of the Commission (vogt AT mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de) :
- A one-page summary (maximum 250 words) of the proposed paper;
- a brief  CV;
- a short letter of recommendation.
The closing date for applications will be May 31, 2011.

Programme Committee

Pnina Abir-Am (Brandeis University, USA)
Dominique Fougeyrollas (CNRS-IRISSO, Université Paris Dauphine)
Anne-Sophie Godfroy (University of Paris-Est-Créteil and Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan)
Annette Lykknes (Trondheim Norwegian University of Science and Technology)
Maria Rentetzi (National Technical University of Athens)
Annette Vogt (Max Planck Institute, Berlin)

The Place

The Ecole Normale Supérieure is located in the Latin Quarter in Paris. The ENS is at once a grande école, due to its selective recruitment process, and a research university. As a central actor in the training of French elites for more than two centuries, it has nourished the majority of the great intellectual movements of the 20th century and has considerably widened the scope of French scientific influence. The impressive achievements made possible through the training it dispenses, distinguish the École normale supérieure from all other French establishments of higher learning. Former students include all eight French winners of the Fields Medal, twelve Nobel Prize winners and half of the recipients the CNRS Gold Medal. The success of ENS alumni results from the quality of its research-based training, which includes individual tutorials and personalized attention for the full four years of study. This “training-by-research” model is the hallmark of the École normale supérieure. It is the best preparation for innovation and creativity. (More on the ENS website www.ens.fr)

The Venue

The Ecole Normale Supérieure in Paris hosts the conference. There is one seminar room. Beamers and computers will be available.
The building is located 45 rue d’Ulm, 75005 Paris; Métro/RER station: Luxembourg, Bus station “Feuillantines” (bus n°21 and 27).

Dates: 14-17 september 2011

Invited papers
Information on the invited papers will be given in the next circular.

Language
English will be the language of the symposium. No interpretation will be provided.

Fee for the International symposium
No fees.

Meals
The costs of the meals are not included. Participants can use the Ecole Normale cafeteria (in the venue) and choose their meal themselves (prices range from 5 to 10€) or have lunch and dinner in small restaurants around the venue (many restaurants are located in the nearby Rue Mouffetard – Price range from 10 to 20€).

Accommodation
Paris offers a number of hotels at different price categories. It is possible to find single rooms for less than 100 €. Actual prices range from 59€ to 200€ depending on the number of stars and level of comfort. It is advisable to book as soon as possible as moderate-price hotels are often overbooked and Paris is a very touristic place.

Hotels:

Hotel des Grandes Ecoles (***)
75, rue du Cardinal Lemoine, 75005 Paris – Tel: +33 1 43 26 79 23
http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com
Close to the Ecole Normale (5 minutes), metro Cardinal-Lemoine. Very nice garden, book very early to get a chance to have a room.

Hotel des 3 Colleges (***)
16 Rue Cujas, 75005 Paris (Place de la Sorbonne is round the corner).
Tel: +33 1 43 54 67 30
resa AT hotel3colleges.fr, www.hotel3colleges.fr
Very close to RER Luxembourg, direct train to the Airports and to the Gare du Nord, 5-10 min by foot to the venue. Direct public buses n°21 and n°27 to the venue.

Solar Hotel (**)
22 rue Boulard, 75014 Paris. Tel: +33 1 43 21 08 20
contact AT solarhotel.fr, www.solarhotel.fr
Modern low-cost ecological hotel close to the Rue Daguerre and Denfert-Rochereau station. Very cheap for Paris, the small  garden is very pleasant. 5-10 minutes from Luxembourg Station, then 5 minutes by foot to the venue, other option, 5 minutes by bike as free bicycles are provided for guests. Direct train to the Airports and to the Gare du Nord. 59€ for double and single rooms including breakfast and wi-fi connection.

Hotel André Latin (***)
50 rue Gay-Lussac, 75005 Paris. Tel: +33 1 43 54 76 60
reservation AT hotel-andrelatin.com, www.andre-latin-paris-hotel.com
Very close to the venue, rates are usually expansive, but there are sometimes good bargains on the website with online booking.

Deadlines

Scholars who want to present a 20 minutes paper at the conference are invited to submit by email a one-page abstract plus one-page CV before May 31, 2011.
The members of the International Programme Committee will referee all the abstracts, and authors will be informed about acceptance or rejection before June 15, 2011.

Deadline for registration: July 31, 2011

Anne-Sophie Godfroy
Maître de conférences
Université Paris Est - Créteil

  • [Athena] Extended deadline - Symposium "Women and Gender studies - Where do we stand?" de 14 au 17 septembre 2011 à l'ENS, Anne-Sophie Godfroy, 18/05/2011

Archives gérées par MHonArc 2.6.18.

Haut de le page