athena - [Athena] Symposium Women and Gender Where Do We Stand - Paris - ENS - 14 au 17 septembre 2011

athena AT services.cnrs.fr

Objet : Histoire des techniques

[Athena] Symposium Women and Gender Where Do We Stand - Paris - ENS - 14 au 17 septembre 2011

  • From: Anne-Sophie GODFROY <anne-sophie.godfroy AT u-pec.fr>
  • To: athena AT services.cnrs.fr
  • Subject: [Athena] Symposium Women and Gender Where Do We Stand - Paris - ENS - 14 au 17 septembre 2011
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 19:09:31 +0200
  • Mailscanner-null-check: 1314810575.1412@7Da9WTEnDq2vqcPIJxlPsQ

Dear Colleagues,

The symposium is organised at the Ecole Normale Supérieure by the Commission
on "Women in Science, Technology, and Medicine”, Division of History of
Science and Technology of the International Union of History and Philosophy
of Science (DHST/IUHPS).

Programme Committee :
• Pnina Abir-Am (Brandeis University, USA)
• Dominique Fougeyrollas (CNRS-IRISSO, Université Paris Dauphine)
• Anne-Sophie Godfroy (University of Paris-Est-Créteil and Ecole
Normale Supérieure de Cachan)
• Annette Lykknes (Trondheim Norwegian University of Science and
Technology)
• Maria Rentetzi (National Technical University of Athens)
• Annette Vogt (Max Planck Institute, Berlin)

Research on women in science has long been viewed as interchangeable with
studies on gender and science, while covering a wide range of disciplinary
fields such as natural, medical, and engineering sciences, as well as social
and human sciences. The aim of this biennial Symposium is to compare the
different methodological, historiographical, as well as sociopolitical
perspectives that have been developed so far; to unravel creative tensions
among the different perspectives; and to suggest innovative ways for better
understanding science, technology, and medicine through the gender
perspective.

During the symposium we expect that historians of science, technology, and
medicine on the one hand, and scholars of gender in science and technology
studies scholars will exchange ideas on key issues related to gender and
women in science and technology. In addition, a special session will be
dedicated to the legacy of Mme Curie for women in science per the declaration
of 2011 as the International Year of Chemistry (IYC-2011) in honor of the
100th anniversary of Mme Curie’s 2nd Nobel Prize in chemistry (1911).

Programme:

September 14

15:00-17:00
Session "The Centennial of Mme Curie’s Nobel Prize for Chemistry: (2011,
1911) Where Science, Gender, Politics, and Public Memory Meet"

17:30-19:00
Interview with distinguished women scientists:
- Hélène Langevin
- Claudine Hermann
The interview is followed by a guided tour to Marie Curie's places at Ecole
de Physique et Chimie Industrielles de la Ville de Paris by Prof. Michel
Lagües.

Thursday September 15

09:00-11:00
Session "The Impact of New Archival Projects: U.S. Archives for Women in
Science and Engineering in the Late 20th and Early 21st centuries"

11:30-13:00
New Sources: correspondance
Chair: Geneviève Fraisse (CNRS, France)

15:00-17:00
History of Women in Genetics

17:30-19:00
Session "Power, Politics and Women’s Activism in Engineering & Technology:
Lessons for Feminist Historians”

Friday September 16

09:00-11:00
Multimodal approaches to biographies of women in science

11:30-13:00
Women and Gender in Colonial Science

15:00-17:00
Methodological & Historiographical Challenges

17:30-19:00
Round Table: Burning Issues in the History of Women and Gender in Science
Moderators: Anne-Sophie Godfroy and Maria Rentetzi
With the participation of Margaret Rossiter, Ruth Schwartz Cowan and Mineke
Bosch

Saturday September 17

09:00-11:00
New Sources : manuscripts, diaries, poetry

Detailed programme and practical information are online:
https://sites.google.com/site/parissymposium2011/programme

Registration is free but compulsory:
https://sites.google.com/site/parissymposium2011/registration

Best regards,
-----------------------

Anne-Sophie Godfroy
Institut d'Histoire et de Philosophie des Sciences et des Techniques
UMR8590 - Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne - Ecole Normale Supérieure -
CNRS
13, rue du Four
75006 Paris
http://www-ihpst.univ-paris1.fr/
anne-sophie.godfroy AT univ-paris1.fr

  • [Athena] Symposium Women and Gender Where Do We Stand - Paris - ENS - 14 au 17 septembre 2011, Anne-Sophie GODFROY, 24/08/2011

Archives gérées par MHonArc 2.6.18.

Haut de le page