athena - [Athena] [IHPST] Talk : Emmanuel Genot "Inquiry by Other Names"

athena AT services.cnrs.fr

Objet : Histoire des techniques

[Athena] [IHPST] Talk : Emmanuel Genot "Inquiry by Other Names"

  • From: Peggy Tessier <peggy.tessier AT univ-paris1.fr>
  • To: destinataires inconnus:;
  • Subject: [Athena] [IHPST] Talk : Emmanuel Genot "Inquiry by Other Names"
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:10:40 +0100

Title: Inquiry by Other Names

Speaker: Emmanuel Genot (University of Lund)

Date and Place: February 6, 2013 - 14h00, IHPST

Abstract: Hintikka has argued that the main problem of question-driven inquiry is: "Given the list of the
propositions one has reached in a line of inquiry, which question should one ask next?" [1, p.98]. When we can
treat all answers we receive as true (even for the sake of the argument), Hintikka claims that this problem is
strategically equivalent to the following problem for deductive logic: "Which proposition should one use as the
premise of the next logical inference?" [ibid.] If Hinitkka is right, then contrary to a widespread view, at
least some contexts of discovery are amenable to logical means. In the first part of my talk, I will present
(informally) arguments based on algorithmic learning-theoretic approaches to inquiry which support Hintikka's
conclusion. In the second part, I will lend support to another conclusion of Hintikka's, namely that his model of
inquiry yields a "general theory of reasoning", by showing its ability to explain experimental data on
reasoning tasks, usually thought to be impervious to logical models. I will conclude that Hintikka's Interrogative
model of Inquiry (IMI) is actually a sophisiticated model of "interrogative learning" and more generally an
empirically adequate model of reasoning.

[1] Hintikka, "Presuppositions and other limitations of inquiry", in Socratic
Epistemology, 2007, CUP

Can Baskent (IHPST, CNRS - Université Paris 1 - ENS)

***********

IHPST
13 rue du Four 75006 Paris
Tél : 01 43 54 94 60
Fax : 01 43 25 29 48
E-mail : ihpst AT univ-paris1.fr
http: //ihpst.univ-paris1.fr/

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.

  • [Athena] [IHPST] Talk : Emmanuel Genot "Inquiry by Other Names", Peggy Tessier, 18/01/2013

Archives gérées par MHonArc 2.6.18.

Haut de le page