athena - [Athena] séminaire ANR Métaphysique des sciences 15 avril, 13h-16h L. Felline (Roma 3) et I. Toader (Bucarest)

athena AT services.cnrs.fr

Objet : Histoire des techniques

[Athena] séminaire ANR Métaphysique des sciences 15 avril, 13h-16h L. Felline (Roma 3) et I. Toader (Bucarest)

  • From: Peggy Tessier <peggy.tessier AT univ-paris1.fr>
  • To: destinataires inconnus:;
  • Subject: [Athena] séminaire ANR Métaphysique des sciences 15 avril, 13h-16h L. Felline (Roma 3) et I. Toader (Bucarest)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 13:17:10 +0200

ANR Métaphysique des sciences

Séminaire Metascience
IHPST, salle de conférences
15 avril, 13h-16h

Laura Felline (Roma 3)
Mechanisms meet Structural explanation: a solution to the
bottoming-out problem

Abstract. Many phenomena in fundamental physics, although mechanically
unexplainable, are nonetheless explained by science. In particular,
some of them are explained via structural explanations. The opposition
between structural and mechanistic explanation is used to better
qualify the non-causal and fundamental character of structural
explanation. Although in a sense opposite to each other, mechanistic
and structural explanations might be assimilated by a more general
account of epistemic model-based explanation, providing information
about the pattern of counterfactual dependences between explanans and
explanandum. Finally, some arguments considered decisive in ruling out
the mechanistic account as a general account of causation and causal
explanation are evaluated and found inconclusive.

Iulian Toader (Bucarest)
Structural Knives and Modal Bumps

Abstract: Some structural realists include modal facts in the actual
world and take its structure to be inherently modal. They also
maintain that this modal structure is represented by the shared
structure of the models of our scientific theories, in the sense that
the shared structure encodes all physical possibilities. In my talk, I
argue that these claims cannot stand together: if the representational
claim is true, then modal facts cannot be included in the actual world.

séance suivante :

Mathias Frisch (U du Maryland)
vendredi 29 mai, 10h-12h, IHPST.

colloque emergence in materials, IHPST, 25-27 mai, IHPST.
http://metascience.hypotheses.org/emergence-in-materials

Cordialement

Max Kistler
Professeur à l'UFR de philosophie
Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
IHPST 13 rue du Four
75006 Paris
mkistler AT univ-paris1.fr
http:/max.kistler.free.fr

--

Peggy TESSIER
Ingénieur d'Etudes

Réseau Pro HiPhiSciTech : http://hiphiscitech.org/

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.

  • [Athena] séminaire ANR Métaphysique des sciences 15 avril, 13h-16h L. Felline (Roma 3) et I. Toader (Bucarest), Peggy Tessier, 13/04/2015

Archives gérées par MHonArc 2.6.18.

Haut de le page