athena - [Athena] Traduction : séminaire Paola Bertucci 13 janvier

athena AT services.cnrs.fr

Objet : Histoire des techniques

[Athena] Traduction : séminaire Paola Bertucci 13 janvier

  • From: Patrice Bret <patrice.bret AT yahoo.fr>
  • To: athena AT services.cnrs.fr, theuth AT listes.univ-rennes1.fr
  • Subject: [Athena] Traduction : séminaire Paola Bertucci 13 janvier
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 19:29:07 +0000 (GMT)
  • Mailscanner-null-check: 1295120121.64325@dqZIonoifVRC3wAe1c+u9g

Séminaire

Les langues de l'échange savant, 1660-1740

La traduction scientifique et technique: pratique et enjeux

Centre Alexandre Koyré-CRHST

Muséum national d’histoire naturelle, 57 rue Cuvier, 75005 Paris

Pavillon Chevreul (3e étage)

 (Métro Jussieu)

Jeudi 13 janvier 2011, 10h-12h

Paola Bertucci (Yale Univerity)

Mariangela Ardinghelli: Authorship, gender, and the circulation of natural knowledge in the eighteenth century

 Mariangela Ardinghelli was an 18th-century learned woman who lived in Naples. She became internationally acclaimed thanks to her translations of Stephen Hales’ works into Italian, but she also anonymously authored other translations. Following the Italian journey of the abbé Nollet in 1749, she became an informal foreign correspondent for the French Académie des Sciences  acting also as a mediator between the French institution and various Neapolitan savants. By examining her interactions with the Republic of letters I wish to address issues concerning authorship, visibility and gender in the age of Enlightenment. In order to do so, I will discuss her ascent to the limelight examining the role played by place, distance and travel. I will show that unlike other female authors, she withdrew into anonymity after she obtained international recognition. I will argue that anonymity was not synonym with invisibility; rather it was a way for a non aristocratic learned lady to secure a space of intellectual activity for herself apart from poisonous gossip and political controversy.

  • [Athena] Traduction : séminaire Paola Bertucci 13 janvier, Patrice Bret, 08/01/2011

Archives gérées par MHonArc 2.6.18.

Haut de le page